Dr.Cole on Brachytherapy also known as Prostate Seed Implantation:
Robert J. Cole, MD
Board Certified Radiation Oncologist
Dr. Cole is a Board Certified Radiation Oncologist in practice since 1984, specializing in Brachytherapy (more commonly known as Prostate Seed Implantation).
During his career, he has pioneered the Prostate Seed Implant Program at Morristown Memorial Hospital. As well as developed the only Prostate Seed Implant Program in New Jersey offering conscious sedation and local anesthesia as an option.
Additionally, he is the only seed implant specialist in New Jersey certified by the Seattle Prostate Institute’s Pro-Qura, the prestigious, internationally recognized quality assurance program for seed implantation.
Recently, Dr. Cole introduced the first in-vivo radiation Dose Verification System available in New Jersey. This leading-edge technology uses an implanted microchip to verify the amount of radiation delivered to a tumor site.
Dr. Cole’s expertise and thousands of successful prostate seed implantation procedures have earned him prestigious recognitions and awards. He has also been featured in Castle Connely, New Jersey Monthly, Good Housekeeping, Redbook and Woman’s Day Magazines as a “Top Doctor”.
In addition to pioneering and developing new prostate cancer treatment options, Dr. Cole also shares his expertise and dedicates himself to improving cancer research. He is actively training physicians nationally and internationally in Brachytheraphy and has raised over one million dollars for the American Cancer Society to support unbiased cancer research and patient services.
Currently, Dr. Cole is the Medical Director of The Cancer Center, PC with offices throughout Northern New Jersey. Contact Dr. Cole
Dr. Cole’s Philosophy
Changing lives through education.
Dr. Robert Cole spends a lot of time educating his patients, getting to know them, and understanding their expectations and current lifestyles. He dedicates his practice to individualized patient care, listening to patient concerns and understanding them as the valued people they are. He gives patients ample time to ask questions and thoroughly explains his answers so they can make informed decisions.
Dr. Cole’s mission is to give cancer patients the highest possible success rate while maintaining their quality of life. He tries to ease the patient’s stress throughout the diagnosis and treatments. Patients are encouraged to participate in choosing options to achieve the best results commensurate with a holistic approach of regaining health.
Dr. Cole is the “Go to Guy” for second opinions and emphasizes that “The treatment decisions patients make will affect them for the rest of their lives”.
Dr. Cole’s Credentials & Education
Board Certified Radiation Oncologist
1974 Rutgers College, New Brunswick, NJ
1979 Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC,
Degree Conferred: Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)
1978 Emory University, Atlanta Georgia
POST DOCTORAL TRAINING
Radiation Oncology Residency
University Of Virginia Hospital, Charlottesville, VA
University Of Virginia Medical Center
SPECIALIZED POST GRADUATE TRAINING
- 11/7/02 Intravascular Radiotherapy for prevention of angioplasty restenosis, Galileo System training by Medical Media Communications Inc.
- 4/2002 Advanced Transperoneal Prostate Brachytherapy Training,Pacific Northwest Cancer Foundation, Seattle, Washington
- 1/2001 Breast Brachytherapy Techniques, American Brachytherapy Society, School of Breast Brachytherapy, New Orleans, LA.
- 8/2000 Advanced Transperoneal Prostate Brachytherapy Training,
Indigo Program, Chicago Illinois.
- 1998 Transperoneal Prostate HDR Brachytherapy; A.M. Nisar Syed MD, L B M Medical Center, Long Beach, California. Glenn A. Healey MD, Lahey Hitchcock Clinic, Burlington, Massachusetts.
- 1999 Transperoneal Prostate HDR Brachytherapy; A.M. Nisar Syed MD, L B M Medical Center, Long Beach, California.
Glenn A. Healey MD, Lahey Hitchcock Clinic, Burlington, Massachusetts.
- 6/96 Transrectal Ultrasound and Prostate Seeding, Pacific Northwest Cancer Foundation,
- 8/95 Transperoneal Brachytherapy, Apprentice to Dr. Nelson Stone, Mount Sinai Medical Center, NY
LICENSURE AND BOARD CERTIFICATION
Medically Licensed in New Jersey -
Board Certification by the American Board of Radiology-1983
ACADEMIC & ADMINISTRATIVE APPOINTMENTS
- 2001-present Medical Director of The Cancer Center, Morristown, NJ
- 2008-present Medical Director of Radiation Oncology
HOSPITAL & SURGICAL CENTERS AFFILIATIONS
- St. Mary’s Hospital Passaic, NJ
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, New Brunswick, NJ
- Mountainside Hospital, Montclair, NJ
- Newton Memorial Hospital, Newton, NJ
- Chilton Memorial Hospital, Pompton Plains, NJ
- Adventist HealthCare, Hackettstown Community Hospital
- Clara Maass Hospital, Belleville, NJ
- University SurgiCenter, East Brunswick, NJ
- Sparta Wellness Center, Sparta, NJ
- Specialty Surgical Center, Sparta NJ
- Roxbury Medical Center, Succasunna, NJ
- West Morris Surgical Center, Succasunna, NJ
- Morris County Surgical Center, Parsippany, NJ
- Somerset Ambulatory Surgical Center, Somerville, NJ
- American Surgical Center, West Orange, NJ
MEMBERSHIPS, OFFICES, AND COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS -(past and present)
- American Society of Therapeutic Radiologists (ASTRO), 1982 – present
- American Medical Association (AMA) continuous PRA holder)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), 1985-1992.
- Oncology Society of New Jersey.
- American College of Radiology (ACR); State and National member
- Medical Society of New Jersey; Morris County and State member
- Cancer and Leukemia Group B Investigator (ID#1471)
- Clinical Associate Member, The Cancer Institute of New Jersey
- American Brachytherapy Society
- Medical Director of The Cancer Center, Morristown, NJ 2001-present
AWARDS AND HONORS
- “New Jersey Top Doctor”, NJ Monthly Magazine, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- “Who’s Who in America”
- “How to Find the Best Doctors in the New York Metro Area”
- “Top Doctors” by Castle Connelly
- “Volunteer of the Year” for the American Cancer Society
- “Physician of the Year” – National Republican Congressional Committee – Physician Advisory Board
- Featured Doctor in Good Housekeeping, Redbook and Woman’s Day Magazines
- 2000-present Ethyol (Amifostine) District Advisory Board
- 2002 National Republican Congressional Committee Physician Advisory Board
- 1997-present Zeneca Pharmaceutical Radiation Oncology Advisory Board
- 1994-present Cancer, An Interdisciplinary, International Journal of the American Cancer Society, Manuscript reviewer
- 1995-present Medical Inter-Insurance Exchange Peer Review Consultant
- Prostate and Breast Cancer Treatments
- Brachytherapy Techniques
- Prostate Seed Implantation
Cole MD, Robert J., Atlas MD, Ian, Israel MD, Arthur, Ndlovu PhD, Alois, Chow MSR, Michael, Wong MD, James, COMPLICATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH TRUS PROSTATE SEED IMPLANTATION. Oral presentation at the 82nd Annual meeting of the American Radium Society, London England, 4/2/2000.
Oren MD, Reva, Cole MD, Srinivas MD, Welshinger MD, Christman MD, Wong MD, Ndlovu PhD, Kapulsky PhD, Daly-Couch RRT, IS COMPLEX SIMULATION NECESSARY FOR THE TREATMENT OF THE VAGINA USING HIGH DOSE RATE BRACHYTHERAPY. . Presented at the 82nd Annual meeting of the American Radium Society, London England, 4/3/2000
Cole MD, Robert J., Oren MD, Reva, Plodkowski, Andrew J., Diehl MD, William, Smith MD, Thomas, Wong MD, James R., Stage I, II Breast Cancer:10 year Follow-up, Poster presentation at the 5th ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL MULTIDISCIPLINARY SYMPOSIUM ON BREAST DISEASE, Rhome, Italy, 2/13-16/2000
Cole MD, Robert J., Atlas MD, Ian, Israel MD, Arthur, Ndlovu PhD, Alois, Chow MSR, Michael, Wong MD, James, COMPLICATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH TRUS PROSTATE SEED IMPLANTATION, Poster presentation at the 21st Annual Meeting of the American Brachytherapy Society, San Diego, California, May 23-25, 1999.
Barnett, D.D.S., M.L., Cole, M.D., R.J., MYCOSIS FUNGOIDES WITH MULTIPLE ORAL LESIONS, Journal of Periodontology, Volume 56: 690-693, 1985.
Cole, Robert J., 3-D VISUALIZATION OF AU-198 PROSTATE IMPLANTS USING CT SLICES, presented at AAPM Mid Atlantic Chapter meeting, Charlottesville, Virginia, April 9, 1983.
Cole, Robert J., Constable, W.C., Kaplan, M., Johns, M., Cantrell, R., Clark, D., GLOTTIC CARCINOMA: ANALYSIS OF IRRADIATION FAILURES, presented at the annual meeting Virginia Chapter American College of Radiology and Mid Atlantic Society Radiation Oncologists, Williamsburg, Virginia, May 6, 1983.
Cole, Robert J., and Goodchild, N., CASTLEMANS DISEASE, presented at the annual meeting of the Virginia Chapter, American College of Radiology and Mid Atlantic Society of Radiation Oncologists, The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, April 30, 1982.
Bushi, A., Harrison, R.B., Brembridge, A.N.A.G., Williamson, B.R.J., Gentry, R.R., Cole, R., DISTENDED LEFT RENAL VEIN: CT/SONOGRAPHIC NORMAL VARIENT, American Journal Radiology, #135: 339-42, August, 1980.
LIST OF SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS AND TELEVISION INTERVIEWS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST. Contact Us